Give your child a good start on a great smile!
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry warns expecting mothers to maintain good oral health. This is because some periodontal diseases can lead to low birth weight and preterm birth. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry also advises you to take care of your child’s dental health. The sooner you bring your child in to GoSmiles Dentistry, the better chance they have of being comfortable and happy at the dentist’s office. Our dentists and team offer early infant oral care in Gainesville, Virginia. Reach out at 703-753-3346 if you have questions; our experienced team will gladly address your concerns.
These steps can help a mother decrease the risk of cavities, bacterial buildup and periodontal disease:
- Make regular trips to the dental office for dental cleanings and exams.
- Take the time to floss and brush your teeth daily.
- Limit your consumption of sugar- and starch-rich foods.
- Brush using a fluoridated toothpaste. Patients can also rinse their teeth with an alcohol-free mouthwash to reduce plaque and bacterial buildup.
- Avoid sharing utensils, food or cups with your children. Contact with these can transmit periodontal disease and bacteria to your child’s teeth.
- Some children benefit from using Xylitol chewing gum. Four pieces a day have been shown to prevent cavities in patients.